To Diet or NOT To Diet, That is the Question

From day one of the Rock's autism diagnosis I have been asked the question "Do you have him on one of those special diet's?". The special diet I'm talking about is no Casein or Whey, basically no dairy products. I would answer with "No, I haven't felt that that is what we need to do at this time." Everyone has an opinion on both sides of the fence, and many have seen miracles happen when this diet is followed. Six months ago I took the Rock to an allergist to see if he had food allergies that were affecting him. This prick test was a negative on everything. So, I let it go. A month ago I went to a new pediatrician, and he wanted to do some tests and then make a plan for my son. "A PLAN? WOW!" My other pediatrician didn't even have it noticeable on his chart so every time I went in I had to explain that the Rock was autistic, seriously NOT cool, I've been to the doctor a few times (wink, wink). So after a number of tests we have some results, telling us that the Rock's body is on the low end of Vitamin D, very low in Iron and is producing extreme amounts of antibodies to fight the casein and whey in his system. So? We are going off milk! This is a big deal because it breaks my heart to take away something that is a staple in his diet when not much else is. I do feel that this is something we can take on and see if it will make a difference. Before today I wasn't ready to climb this mountain, but because today I am, it makes me feel like this is the right choice. You have to follow that still small voice and then you will feel PEACE. Mark the calendar! January 29, 2011 Let's watch and see if anything changes.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you now have a doctor who cares. It makes me sick to know that your other doctor didn't care and yet it seems so simple to at least TRY!! Good luck, I know you're so brave to try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love those dr.'s I have had my fair share! Glad you found one that sounds interested in making a difference for your sweet boy! Hope you see some changes. Keep you in my prayers! Love ya Cobi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm excited to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank goodness for the dr.'s who practice medicine because they love helping people! Hope you find success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i noticed you mentioned the dairy thing. I'm wondering if you've heard about gluten free diets as well.

    ReplyDelete