Its SO rare......

......to get eye contact (although its getting better) let alone a picture of those gorgeous blue eyes. All I can think of when I see them is who wouldn't want to stare into them all day. I wish I was able to see them more often, for each time I see them I am give a Piece of PEACE.
The Rock has been in a private school for children with autism for the past month and a half. I went and visited at school and I was blown away with excitement with all he was doing. Right now they are working on attending (meaning sitting still with feet on the ground, hands to themselves, eyes on the teacher), every day Hagen is passing of another level (these tasks are broken down into small steps). Also he is learning to say "yes" and "no" for things he wants. He is doing well in the structured environment and is following directions and remembering routines (putting his box away, putting on his own backpack, holding friends hands as they walk down the hall). When I came into the classroom the Rock took my hand and showed me his favorite places, the story corner and the drinking fountain. It was so neat to see him show me what he loves about class. He was excited about having me in class and that made me feel so good. At home the Rock is continuing to enjoy our company. I was/am worried about him loosing his desire to be apart of the family because he is away from us so much more now. So far we are doing ok, a daily goal for each of us to play and talk with the Rock.
More and more children the Rocks age are starting to notice he doesn't communicate like they do. They talk to him and get upset when he won't talk back or when he just does something and they were trying to talk to him. It's just interesting to me at what age other children really start noticing their peers. The Rock is starting to notice peers and will occasionally play/follow them, communicating is coming VERY slowly, BUT it's coming......I pray.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like he is making such great progress, so awesome! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you see the 60 min episode the other night about Autism and the influence the i pad is having? It was so inspiring! There are all kinds of new programs on the i pad just for autism. Any way, you probably already knew that, but I just thought it was so exciting to see the progress of the kids in the episode.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love when you do updates like this!! So glad to hear that he is doing well in his class.

    ReplyDelete